This recipe is great as a meat-free option that can also pass as a winter-warming meal.
- 2 aubergines
- 8 courgettes
- 3 red and yellow peppers
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 tomatoes, roughly diced small handful fresh basil
- 1 tin of tomatoes (or 3 tbsp of tomato paste with ½ cup vegetable stock)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- ½ lemon (zest for garnish) Olive oil for cooking
- Cut up the aubergine, courgettes and peppers into chunks –they don’t have to be finely chopped – around bite-sized
- Pan fry the above ingredients in batches for around 5 minutes until just soft but not completely cooked. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Slice onion into wedges, and crush the garlic and fry for a few minutes until golden.
- Return the cooked vegetables to the pan, and then add the diced tomatoes, basil, the tin of tomatoes (or the tomato paste with the stock) and the balsamic vinegar. Add salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- When done, grate the zest of the lemon into the dish, and season further to taste.
- Serve with rice, cous-cous or any grain of choice